Car Seat Recommendations for Carol
Betty here. From what I understand, you're looking for a lightweight car seat you can take in and out of the car with an infant still in it, and also one that can grow with your little one from birth to when they no longer need a car seat. I also see that non-toxic materials are important to you. Taking all of this into consideration I've pulled together three recommendations, but I can definitely provide more if you're curious about what else is in the market.
Unfortunately infant car seats are the only type of car seats that can be taken in and out of the car with your baby in it and they do not grow with your child. Babies age out of most infant car seats when they're 35 pounds (typically around 1-2 years old). Because of that, I recommended two infant car seats and one convertible car seat that grows with your child from birth until toddler years.
The Uppababy Mesa (wool material) and the Nuna Pipa RX are on the list because they are non-toxic infant car seats that are compatible with the strollers I recommended. Nuna has four other car seats - Nuna Pipa, Nuna Pipa Lite, Nuna Pipa Lite R and Nuna Pipa Lite LX - I've included an article below that describes their differences. As you might have guessed, the Lite options are lighter, but I didn't recommend them because they cannot be installed without a base (being able to install it without a base comes in handy for traveling or trips in other people's cars). The third recommendation is the Nuna RAVA convertible car seat that is also made of the same non-toxic fabric as the Pipa.
I know you're early in your search, so consider these recommendations a starting point. Check them out and I'm happy to adjust my recommendations as you start getting more clarity on what you're looking for. Some things I suggest thinking about if I were you are:
- How important is it to carry your baby in an infant car seat? For some parents it's very important because they don't want to wake up a sleeping baby. But for others, this isn't an important feature, so they can save by not buying an infant car seat.
- How important is non-toxic fabric? There are fewer options that are non-toxic. If this isn't as important to you, it opens up your options. I've included an article below about non-toxic materials in car seats.
- Do I want an all-in-one car seat? Nuna does offer an all-in-one car seat, the Exec, that can grow with your child from birth until they no longer need a car seat. This is one of the most expensive car seats on the market at $649.95. For this price, you could buy the Nuna RAVA and the Nuna Aace booster seat. There is a more affordable all-in-one car seat with non-toxic materials, the Britax One4Life with SafeWash fabric. However, I left this one off the list because it had low crash test scores from third party testers.
I've given you plenty to think about here. Look it over and shoot me a text if you have any questions. I'm also happy to setup a quick consultation to chat more.
Guide to shopping for this product
Car seats are one of the most important purchases you'll make as a parent. Luckily there are some great options out there, so you have plenty to choose from. Here's some guidance on what to look for when making your decision.
Other helpful resources
- Toxic Flame Retardants are in Children's Car Seats - Science Daily
Main takeaway: "Children's car seats are required to meet the flammability standards for car interiors outlined in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 302, which was created in 1971... Flame retardants are routinely used as a cost-effective way to meet this standard. However, flame retardants have been linked to a variety of negative health effects, including hormone disruption, impaired brain development, liver damage and cancer."
- Nuna Pipa Comparison - Strolleria
- Uppababy Mesa vs. Nuna Pipa Infant Car Seat Comparison - Strolleria
- Nuna RAVA vs. Nuna Exec Car Seat Comparison - Strolleria
|Uppababy Mesa||Nuna Pipa RX + relx base||Nuna RAVA|
|Product weight||9.9 lbs (carrier only)||7.6 lbs||27.2 lbs|
|Dimensions||27.5” L x 17” W x 24” H (carrier on base)||
25.2” L x 17.5” W x 23” H (carrier)
23.75” L x 13” W x 12” H (base)
|16” L x 19” W x 25” H|
|Child weight range||4-35 lbs||4-32 lbs||5-65 lbs|
|Non-toxic, flame resistant materials||Yes, wool (Jordan and Henry colors)||Yes, all colors||Yes, all colors|
|Compatible strollers (using adapter sold separately)||
No adapter needed for UPPAbaby VISTA or CRUZ
Adapters for UPPABABY MINU, Thule, Mima Xari and Xari Sport, Mima Zigi, Baby Jogger, and Veer
Ring adapter required for Nuna Strollers
Other adapters available for Baby Jogger, Babyzen, BOB, Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Stokke, Uppababy, Thule and more
|Cannot be used with a stroller|
|Key differentiator||Compatible with Uppababy Cruz and Vista without adapter. Can be used with or without base. Offered in non-toxic options.||Lightweight and can be used with or without base. All options are non-toxic. Other models offer different features.||Can be used from birth to toddler years. All options are non-toxic.|
Still don't see what you're looking for?
That's not good. Betty wants to help you get exactly what you want.
Schedule a quick consultation to tell her more about what you're looking for.
Want recommendations for other products?
Betty's here for you! Tell her the products you're shopping for and she'll be in touch.