These are some of the key features you can get with a crib mattress. Determining which ones are most important to you will help you narrow down which mattress to get.
Crib Mattress Safety Features
- Reinforced corners: The level of support around the edges and corners tend to differ from mattress to mattress. Rods and border wire are sometimes used to strengthen the edges so that they don’t sink, and potentially pose a risk, over time.
- Certifications: Several certifications exist for baby products that apply to crib mattresses. List and description of them are listed below.
- Greenguard Gold - This certification means that the crib mattress has been independently tested in a lab and has met rigorous standards for chemical emissions and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as formaldehyde or phthalates. The ‘Gold’ certification is a stricter standard used on children’s products.
- CertiPur-US - This certification is for high-density or memory foam mattresses. It means the foam has been tested to meet CertiPUR-US rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability. Specifically, the foam is made without ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, mercury, lead and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and has low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality.
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) - This is a textile production certification that limits the use of toxic bleaches, dyes and other chemical inputs during the production process of textiles. GOTS products contain at least 95% organic fiber.
Crib Mattress Comfort Features
- Hypoallergenic cushioning: Hypoallergenic layers on a crib mattress will help protect from allergic reactions. These layers form a protective seal to prevent dust mites and other microscopic organisms that cause allergic reactions from permeating into the mattress.
- Breathability: Moisture build-up can cause molds, odor and bacteria. Look out for mattresses with good circulation and features such as mattress vents. These ensure that the mattress stays clean and hygienic while at the same time increasing breathability so your baby will be fine even in a face-down position. A breathable mattress also ensures temperature regulation to ensure your baby doesn’t get too hot.
Crib Mattress Easy Maintenance Features
- Water-resistance: Mattresses are usually covered in either a vinyl or fabric cover. While a fabric cover is more breathable and sometimes more comfortable, a vinyl cover protects the mattress from leaks. Have no fear, if your eyes are set on a fabric covered mattress, there are waterproof mattress covers you can purchase for your crib mattress.
- Weight: Crib mattresses tend to differ in weight. Innerspring coil mattresses can weigh up to 10 lbs more than foam mattresses. Some parents prefer lighter weight mattresses so that it’s easier to prop up and change sheets.